what does "+"(preferred) means in xrandr?

Aaron Plattner aplattner at nvidia.com
Mon Nov 26 18:51:34 UTC 2018

"preferred" generally means that the Extended Display Information Data
(EDID) from the monitor indicates that that mode most closely matches
the native timings of the display. All modes listed by RandR for a given
monitor should work with that monitor, but the preferred mode should
work best (for some definition of "best").

RandR will send events when the list of modes for an output changes. To
receive those, you should use XRRSelectInput() to select for them. I
*think* the mask you want it RROutputChangeNotifyMask.

You can get more information about RandR resources and requests in
randrproto.txt:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/proto/randrproto/blob/master/randrproto.txt