When starting Evolution /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[2309]: (II) modeset information is printed to syslog

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Wed Sep 5 19:16:02 UTC 2018

On Sat, 2018-09-01 at 10:24 -0500, Chris wrote:

> When starting Evolution this is output to syslog and periodically after it's running:
>
> https://pastebin.com/zndBukUG

Evolution, or something it provokes, is asking the server for the list
of available video modes. It's doing so with XRRGetScreenResources(),
apparently, which prompts the X server to go re-check every available
output to see if anything has changed. This is silly, it should be
using XRRGetScreenResourcesCurrent() and relying on hotplug events to
trigger re-polling. Now, maybe the X server shouldn't print the modes
in the log when that happens, but maybe the client shouldn't be ten
years behind the times in its API usage.

In other words, I think this is a gnome bug.

- ajax