"XKB: Could not invoke xkbcomp" error

Samy Mahmoudi samy.mahmoudi at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 12:59:12 UTC 2019

Hi,

Did you install xpra from the ubuntu's repository or the from the xpra's
repository ?

Here is what I have done to overpass your error:

[ 17041.467] (EE) XKB: Could not invoke xkbcomp
[ 17041.472] (EE) XKB: Couldn't compile keymap
[ 17041.472] (EE) XKB: Failed to load keymap. Loading default keymap
instead.
[ 17041.474] (EE) XKB: Could not invoke xkbcomp
[ 17041.474] (EE) XKB: Couldn't compile keymap
[ 17041.474] XKB: Failed to compile keymap
[ 17041.474] Keyboard initialization failed. This could be a missing or
incorrect setup of xkeyboard-config.
[ 17041.474] (EE)
Fatal server error

1) I installed Ubuntu 18.10 on a VPS (they may have altered the default
installation)
2) I checked wether universe is activated or not (/etc/apt/sources.list).
It should be.
3) wget "https://xpra.org/repos/cosmic/xpra.list"
-O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xpra.list
4) wget "https://xpra.org/gpg.asc" && apt-key add gpg.asc && rm gpg.asc
5) echo -e "Package: *\nPin: origin xpra.org\nPin-Priority: 1001" >
/etc/apt/preferences.d/xpra
6) apt-get update
7) apt-get install xpra xfce4 dbus-x11 at-spi2-core python-xdg menu-xdg
menu python-uinput python-paramiko python-netifaces (this list of packages
can be expanded by trial-and-error to disable more warnings and errors from
the xpra log)
8) update-menus
9) I set the root passwd (I don't want to dive into xpra's ssh key
management on my current Windows 7 client for the moment)
11) I tested my set up (see below)

I have been able to reproduce your XKB error. It happened to me when I
start xpra more than once on the same display port, so be careful to stop
xpra through your testing workflow:

a) xpra start-desktop :108 --start-child=startxfce4 --exit-with-children
b) test on client, debug on server with logs, install needed packages,
reconfigure or change command-line arguments
c) xpra stop
d) xpra list
e) Go to step a