XOrg in Debian10/Buster not usable with AMD Duron / Matrox G400

Markus Hiereth post at hiereth.de
Tue Jul 30 11:59:39 UTC 2019

Hallo xorg Team,

thanks for Your hints so far, but the problem still remains.

@ Dennis

I managed to compile the source package

  http://deb.debian.org/debian/pool/main/x/xserver-xorg-video-mga/xserver-xorg-video-mga_2.0.0.orig.tar.gz

It was necessary to replace xserver-xorg by xserver-xorg-de

  http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/x/xorg-server/xserver-xorg-dev_1.20.4-1_i386.deb

@ Adam

attached is the latest logfile which was created when gdb invoked Xorg
from a remote machine. The mga driver compiled on my own has been used.

@ Felix

I tried to use the tool ubiosdos.exe in Your zip file. Maybe the drivers
are newer: For example

-r-xr-xr-x 1 32768 Jul 23  1999 897-15.bin (on the CDROM shipped with my card)
-rw-rw-rw- 1 32768 Nov 21  2000 897-21.bin (in Your zip-File)

But using ubiosdos.exe, I got the error message "Bad Command or
Filename". First I thought this was due to another directory name than
c:\matrox\util. But renaming did not change anything. Remarkably, the
tools makedisk (for creating a vga bios recovery disk) and pcispy for
diagnosis of the card do work.

For example the latter provides adresses that might be useful to flash
the bios of the video card using linux commands cat or dd

                       Adresse  Size
FrameBufferAperture    dc000000 02000000
ControlAperatureBase   dfefc000 00004000
DMA Base               df000000 00800000
ROM Base               dfee0000

Thee is a second site that offers software for updating the vga bios

  http://www.opendrivers.com/download/driver-34715.html

But I suppose the newer drivers are for newer Matrox video cards. And
the executable file needs Windows instead of DOS which is not
installed on my PC.

The sources code of mga contains a file mga_bios.c that covers how to
access the BIOS of the card.

I hope that a solution can be found.
Markus