Problem with mapping a key to multiple characters (Unicode + diacritic symbol)

Ilya Anfimov ilan at
Mon Mar 18 13:27:59 UTC 2019

On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 07:42:14PM +0100, Pierre-Luc Angles wrote:
> Dear Ilya, dear all,
> Thanks again.
> My full xkb mapping is the following. I have not added all the Compose keys
> but just i_breve_below to test it (note that it is not a i without dot but a
> normal i with a breve below and that the i withoutdot is combined with a
> half ring above.

 Good day.

 I  checked  some  other things, not your mapping and found some-
thing interesting:

  I've  forgotten  that I did rebuild libreoffice with --disable-
gtk --disable-gtk3  , and therefore without vclplug at all.

 Then I've found a  gtk2  libreoffice  version,  and  some  other
gtk2-gtk3 apps and nothing works there!

 Some investigation shows that im-config package sets


 environment  variable and  this breaks GTK IM completely. Unset-
ting XMODIFIERS or setting XMODIFIERS='' does  something  better,
but the default IM handling in the GTK is also completely broken:
it  doesn't support XKeysymDB, and doesn't support multiple  sym-
bols  result  per  mapping  and  also  always  reads  in  default
/usr/share/.../Compose file like

  include "%L"

is added at the begining of ~/.XCompose

 But  setting GTK_IM_MODULE=xim fixes that problems (after unset-

so, env XMODIFIERS='' GTK_IM_MODULE=xim libreoffice may work  for

More information about the xorg mailing list