xterm building fails - undefined reference to `tgetstr'

Thomas Dickey dickey at his.com
Sun Aug 2 09:42:59 UTC 2020

On Sun, Aug 02, 2020 at 04:39:17AM +0530, Sreyan Chakravarty wrote:

> On 7/30/20 7:48 PM, Adam Jackson wrote:
> > Note that Fedora 32's xterm package is already built with sixel
> > support since xterm-349-2.
> >
> > https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/xterm/blob/f32/f/xterm.spec#_48
> >
> > Fedora 32's release version was xterm-351-2.fc32, so you should have
> > sixel support already. The spec file spells it --enable-sixel-graphics
> > not --enable-sixel like you've done (I don't know whether that matters
> > here), and also specifies --disable-full-tgetent which does seem like
> > it would have some effect on how libtinfo detection proceeds.
>
> Then why I am unable to view any sixel graphics via the img2sixel tool ?
>
> I did the following:
>
> img2sixel /home/sreyan/Pictures/neofetch_test.png
>
> This displayed nothing.
>

> Please note I have compiled libsixel directly from source obtained from
> GitHub. (https://github.com/saitoha/libsixel)
>
> I tried it on the compiled xterm from source and also the xterm packaged
> with Fedora.

SIXEL was supported with specific DEC terminals, e.g., VT340.
The default emulation in VT420 did not support that.
In xterm #358, you can set a resource value to add SIXEL support
to VT420 (or whatever your terminalID says the terminal is):

man xterm:

       decGraphicsID (class DecGraphicsID)
               Allows a way to combine the graphics feature from certain DEC
               terminals (125, 240, 241, 330, 340 or 382) with other emulation
               levels which did not provide the graphics feature.  As in
               decTerminalID, leading non-digit characters are ignored, e.g.,
               “vt340” and “340” are the same.

               If the resource value is nonzero, xterm-dev uses that emulation
               level when initializing the drawing region and decoding control
               sequences to draw graphics.

               The default is “0”.

> Is this a problem with the libsixel library or xterm ?

neither :-)

--
Thomas E. Dickey <dickey at invisible-island.net>
https://invisible-island.net