Xorg.0.log stuck, never stops

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sun Jun 14 13:04:29 UTC 2020

On Sunday 14 June 2020 08:27:04 Adam Nielsen wrote:

> > I just noticed my Xorg.0.log is growing, probably will continue to
> > grow untill the 64GB card is used up, adding this stanza every few
> > minutes:
> >
> > [320458.839] (--) modeset(0): HDMI max TMDS frequency 225000KHz
>
> Do you have anything that might call xrandr or another program at
> regular intervals?  Can't think what else would be continually
> querying the display settings.
>
> Does it still happen if all the monitors are unplugged?  Just to rule
> out any sort of hotplug-related weirdness.
>
> I guess if nothing else you could always add "-logfile /dev/null" to
> the X command line as a last resort.
>
> Cheers,
> Adam.

Because its also a devel machine, haveing 2 SSD's attached where it can
build the target sw, there are often 1 minimum to as high as 4 ssh -Y
logins. But only one in the last several days.

None of this is a huge showstopper unless it causes a huge latency to
occur in the machine control. Normal is for the program if running, to
take inventory of what the machine is doing and issue corrective actions
every millisecond. I do not know that to be the case but if a part was
being carved at the time, I'd imagine it would be damaged as this
nominally 5 milliseconds means the machine is un-monitored for a part
wrecking way too long.

I was hoping the time frame between these events might trigger an
association memory from some of your folks.

[334858.869] (--) modeset(0): HDMI max TMDS frequency 225000KHz
[336658.866] (II) modeset(0): EDID vendor "ONN", prod id 257

That shows the interval between these events as thats the last line of
the previous event and the first line of another.  And it seems to be
fairly consistent. Something cron is doing might be one possibility.  It
is a raspbian buster install as an armhf but could at some point be done
as a full 64 bit install.  R-pi-4b, 2 G's ram.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis