no screens found(EE) - Cannot use AMD R5 M330 as output to monitor

Sreyan Chakravarty sreyan32 at gmail.com
Thu May 14 16:37:44 UTC 2020

Hi,

I am on a laptop that has a AMD Radeon R5 M330 card. I want to use this
as the main source of display for all display operations on my monitor.
For that I have configured this .conf file:

Section "ServerLayout"
     Identifier "layout"
     Screen 0 "ati"
EndSection

Section "Device"
     Identifier "ati"
     Driver "ati"
     BusID "PCI:01:00:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
     Identifier "ati"
     Device "ati"
EndSection

I have the ATI driver so that's what I have given in my config:

xorg-x11-drv-ati-0:19.0.1-5.fc32.x86_64

01:00.0 Display controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Sun
XT [Radeon HD 8670A/8670M/8690M / R5 M330 / M430 / Radeon 520 Mobile]
(rev 83)

The card is on the 01 PCI bus and again that is what I have configured.

The above config does not work. X fails to start with the following error:

[   347.044] (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
[   347.044] (EE)
Fatal server error:
[   347.044] (EE) no screens found(EE)
[   347.044] (EE)
Please consult the Fedora Project support
      at http://wiki.x.org
  for help.
[   347.044] (EE) Please also check the log file at
"/home/sreyan/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.2.log" for additional information.
[   347.044] (EE)

The full log file can be found here(~/.config/local/share/xorg/Xorg.2.log):

https://pastebin.com/raw/eD27NTdG

What am I doing wrong ? What can I do this to get it working ?

What is wrong in my conf file ?

--
Regards,
Sreyan