XOrg does not start automatically after switching to KDE

Sreyan Chakravarty sreyan32 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 19:05:18 UTC 2020

Hi,

I just switched to KDE on Fedora, but when I now start my laptop the KDE
display manager does not automatically start with boot.

It halts at :

              localhost login:

I have to manually type in my user and password, then issue the command
'startx' then SDDM actually starts.

How can I make it so that it starts on boot like GDM ?

These are the commands I used to install and enable KDE, taken from here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KDE

                sudo dnf install @kde-desktop

                sudo dnf install switchdesk-gui (then selected Plasma)

                sudo dnf install system-switch-displaymanager
(this did not work as there is no such component in the repos)

Then I disabled to GDM and enabled SDDM via:

                 sudo systemctl disable gdm

                 sudo systemctl enable sddm

So can someone help me ? Let me know if any other diagnostic info is needed.

Where did I go wrong ?

--
Regards,
Sreyan Chakravarty