Feature request, but must be universallly accepted by ALL blanker authors

Vladimir Dergachev volodya at mindspring.com
Sat Oct 3 04:39:27 UTC 2020

On Fri, 2 Oct 2020, Gene Heskett wrote:

> Greetings x-people;
>
> The LinuxCNC people have just brought it up from Debian wheezy to buster
> for a base install.
>
> But the security paranoia is going to get someone maimed or killed.
>
> Someone has decreed that the screen blanker must be subject to a new
> login before anything can be done about a runaway machine with enough
> horsepower at its disposal to kill.

Just to chime in, this is not an X problem per se, but rather the desktop
environment.

X does not have a utility to ask for your password - just a way to blank
the screen and turn off the monitor.

If you were to prevent X from blanking the screen, then what would likely
happen is that it will not go blank, but instead you will see either a
screensaver or a password prompt from whatever screen locker your desktop
environment is using.

So the issue is really with the desktop environment you are using - there
should be a control to disable screenlocker.

I am using KDE on my laptop and it does have it.

My CNC machine is controlled from Jetson nano, and I was able to disable
password prompt, but the screensaver does kick in and I have to muck
around with monitor control key to turn it back on, as the monitor
touchscreen turns off with the monitor.

best

Vladimir Dergachev