X.Org colour corruption (1.20.4/Debian)

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Mon Oct 26 19:43:49 UTC 2020

On Sat, Oct 24, 2020 at 11:39:38PM -0700, Benjamin Ketcham wrote:
> Recent (<= 1 month) Debian install.  Tried both Xfce and LXDE, same
> problem, seems to be an underlying X server issue.  Trying to play almost
> any video (.mp4) causes all the screen colours to go "crazy".
> Also, switching to a text console with ctrl-alt-F2, and then back (alt-F7)
> scrambles the colours in the same way.
> Logging out and back in resets the colours, but "xrefresh" does not.
>
> This problem is new as of the new Debian install, did not happen with a
> slightly older install (~1year); I'm not sure, but guessing, that X.Org has
> changed in this time.
> Looks very much like the kind of colormap problems we used to see with
> 8bpp/256-color pseudocolor displays; haven't seen it in many years and I
> assumed the problem was "fixed" by 24/32bpp displays.  But no!
> So far, can't find any useful discussion of this issue; sorry if it's a
> FAQ, but it's not well-documented if so.
> FWIW, I've done "apt-get update" and "upgrade".
>
> --Benjamin

Your log shows that among other things the radeon driver was loaded,
but then unloaded and you appear to have fallen back to the old vesa
driver - I had no idea that was still usable.

You might get better replies if you indicate what video hardware is
installed.  And if it is ATI, did you install the firmware for it ?

ĸen
--
The people next door oppress me all night long. I tell them: I work
all day, a man's got to have some time to learn to play the tuba.