How to switch to a particular resolution? Xorg complains "No valid modes for "DFP-1:2560x1600"; removing." and ignores my setting.

Aaron Plattner aplattner at nvidia.com
Wed Sep 23 21:22:17 UTC 2020

On 9/23/20 1:35 PM, Yuri wrote:
> On 2020-09-23 08:21, Pete Wright wrote:
>> $ xrandr |grep 2560
>

> Interestingly, this command shows nothing after Xorg was started, but
> shows 2560x1600 after the "NVidia settings" program changes the
> resolution to 2560x1600.
>
> I just need to find a way, if any, to do this automatically.

I think we need a better picture of what's actually connected to your
system and what it's reporting itself as capable of. The full output of
xrandr would help, and it would also help to add

Option "ModeDebug"

to the "Device" or "Screen" section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf, restart the X
server, and the attach /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

-- Aaron