Stale image on X11 server after lost connection

Ilya Anfimov ilan at tzirechnoy.com
Thu Apr 8 08:49:48 UTC 2021

On Thu, Apr 08, 2021 at 10:37:55AM +0200, Jos?? Tom??s Tocino Garc??a wrote:
>    I'm afraid the machine with the X11 server has no mouse or keyboard
>    attached to it, so I cannot "right click" it. It's something like a kiosk.

Anyway:  usually  the server is launched by some display manager,
or sometimes by the xinit command invocation from some script.

 In either case it launches something like Xsession  script  with
clients  run  from it, and waits until that script finishes, then
stops or restarts the server.

 Probably, there are mwm window manager invocation  as  the  last
command  of  that Xsession script, that runs mwm and the mwm runs
forever.
 You can change it to run mwm in background, and  make  the  last
command  some kind of a watchdog, that checks the server for your
application and exits when cannot find it -- making  the  server
to  exit when your app exits.

 In any case, extensive scripting could solve many problems.