Overscan issue with HDMI-connected screen

Àlex Magaz alexandre.magaz at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 11:46:42 UTC 2021

On 30/12/21 22:46, Felix Miata wrote:
> Àlex Magaz composed on 2021-12-30 22:09 (UTC+0100):
>
>> Felix Miata wrote:
>>> Àlex Magaz composed on 2021-12-30 15:57 (UTC+0100):
>
>>> I fixed my Proscan TV's overscan with:
>>> xrandr --output HDMI-1 --set underscan on --set "underscan vborder" 20 --set "underscan hborder" 35
>> Thanks, I already tried it, but those properties aren't available on the
>> Intel driver. That's why I'm using the '--transform' option.
> This begs the issue why the intel DDX driver. All my Intel IGPs from G41-up
> (2008?) (G41, Q43, Q45, Haswell, Kaby Lake HD 630, Rocket Lake UHD 730) are
> running on the modesetting DIX driver. Q43 was where I needed to set underscan
> with modesetting DIX on Proscan TV.

I didn't know about the DDX vs DIX driver, but I've checked and it seems
to be using the DIX one. To be sure I've removed the
xserver-xorg-video-intel package and checked the loaded modules on
Xorg's log. I see:

(II) LoadModule: "modesetting"

I don't see any mention to Intel modules being loaded. In fact, nothing
has changed after removing the package and xrandr continues without
finding the underscan/*border properties.