restart Xorg? | fedora 32 | mem leak?

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 16:56:36 UTC 2021

Hi,

On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 at 17:48, Tom <xorg at zq3q.org> wrote:

> After a week or two Xorg grows -- last time to about 3.6GB. How may I
> restart
> Xorg with out rebooting, or disturbing my current session?

You cannot restart the X server without disconnecting the running X11
clients, i.e. killing your session.

But X11 resources are allocated by the Xserver on behalf of the clients.

Have you checked if it's not just an X11 client allocating (i.e. leaking)
resources?

The command "xrestop" should give you an indication of how much of
resources each X11 client has allocated.

If that's the case, killing/restarting just that client would suffice…

HTH
Cheers
O.