Beginner Questions About XCB - xcb_alloc_color is too slow

Ilya Anfimov ilan at tzirechnoy.com
Tue Feb 23 11:09:49 UTC 2021

On Sat, Feb 20, 2021 at 06:37:38PM -0800, Mark Solomonik wrote:
>    Hello,

 Godd day.

[skipped]

>  Is this an appropriate way to set the color? Is there a more efficient way to do so?

 Well, you have mostly good answers to this question.
 (I personally disagree with the one that recommended RENDER).
 Yes,  you should generally find r,g,b bitmasks and then just put
pixel values. AllocColor is practically useless on TrueColor  vi-
suals, and currently there is almost no other types.

>  Slightly unrelated question: as someone completely new to Xorg and Linux graphics in general,
>  how do you deal with the lack of documentation for XCB?

 The documentation on protocol is an "X Window System Protocol"

https://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.5/doc/x11proto/proto.pdf

  Xlib and xcb are just C language bindings for the protocol.