[discuss] Dedicated- and integrated graphics cards do not work simultaneously

Ole Reier Ulland ole.reier.ulland at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 13:05:17 UTC 2021

On lørdag 17. juli 2021 03:38:47 CEST Felix Miata wrote:

> Rocket Lake i7-11700K was launched first quarter this year. Initial release
> of 5.10 kernel was last year. It needs to be determined whether the
> standard mga 8 5.10 kernel supports this CPU. It may have been backported.
> If not it would need a backports kernel 5.12. I would ask on the dev
> mailing list to find out, unless someone else knows a better way to make
> that determination. Or, simply enable the backports repo and install the
> 5.12. kernel.

I reinstalled Mageia 8, enabled core backport and installed kernel 5.12.13.
That lead to iGPU/Intel working sort of fine, but dGPU/nVidia not working
much. There was messages about why in /var/log/Xorg.0.log and eventually I
have made all but one of those messages disappear, but it still does not work.

What I want is for iGPU to use the HDMI head and the dGPU to use the HDMI- (
(as login and primary) and the DVI-D (with an adapter to HDMI) head.

The closest I get is (1) iGPU/HDMI as login and primary and blank on the
dGPUs, or (2) iGPU/HDMI as login and then blank and dGPU/HDMI as not primary
and DVI-I (not DVI-D) with a "X" as a cursor on a otherwise blank display.

When I connect to DVI-I, according to Xorg.0.log, the system does not even
make an attempt at connecting it.

I am absolutely convinced that the last problematic message in Xorg.0.log
points to the cause of the problem,

(EE) AIGLX error: Calling driver entry point failed

It is very important to disable Kscreen2 as a startup service, because as
enabled it deletes the Kscreen configurations, in /home/[user]/.local/share/
kscreen, that did not work out right. I this case it always removed the
configurations for the dGPU.

I believe I have come to the end of the line here. I conclude that it is
impossible to get Xorg/Kscreen to function with dual graphic cards.

xorg.conf, kscreen configurations, and Xorg.0.log should be available here,

https://pastebin.com/E5CbXQET

--
Sincerely,

Ole Reier Ulland