How to force Xorg/Firefox to use iGPU instead of discrete nvidia card on a Clevo laptop?

Dan dan76 at protonmail.com
Wed Mar 24 13:44:29 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, March 24, 2021 2:33 AM, Sérgio Basto <sergio at serjux.com> wrote:

> We usually have the opposite problem. we want to enable discrete nvidia card by default, please try reverse these options [1]
>
> [1]
> https://rpmfusion.org/Howto/Optimus#Finer-Grained_Control_of_GLX_.2B-_OpenGL

I see. I tried the following:

~$ __NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD=0 __GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=i965 glxinfo|grep vendor
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
client glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation

~$ __NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD_PROVIDER=modesetting __GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=i965 glxinfo |grep vendor
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
client glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation

~$ __NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD_PROVIDER=modesetting __GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=i965 vainfo
libva info: VA-API version 1.8.0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/xorg/lib64/dri/nvidia_drv_video.so
libva info: va_openDriver() returns -1
vaInitialize failed with error code -1 (unknown libva error),exit

No matter what I try, it always defaults to nvidia.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks!