Best way to create splash screen from kernel boot to Xorg JavaFX app ?

Julien Faure julien.faure at iaca-electronique.com
Thu May 6 07:32:36 UTC 2021

Hello all,

I work on*Raspberry pi 4 with Yocto OS.*

I try to create a splash screen who appears after kernel boot and
disappears when my JavaFx app is ready on Xfce4.

I found several "solutions" but they do not suit me.

_*My bad solution:
*_

My actual solution is that I run a script at the boot (after kernel) who
write directly on framebuffer my splash screen image.

When Xorg start, I use /xsetroot -bitmap /to display the same splash
image on the screen.

When Xfce4 start, I set the Xfce4 desktop background with the same image
and I wait that my JavaFx app start.

_*My problem:
*_

This solution has a main problem, between each transition
(boot-->xorg-->xfce4), I have a black screen. It's not a fluid boot.

_*My dream :*_

I thought that, it will be perfect to prepare Xorg + xfce4 + JavaFx boot
in fake screen and display the splash screen on the real screen.

When my Javafx app is fully started, I display my fake screen on the real.

I don't found how to realize this solution, and maybe it's the worth
solution.

Can you help me please ?

Thank you in advance.

--