Custom layout not showing in keyboard-configuration list

Ajith R ajithramayyan at yahoo.co.in
Mon May 10 08:30:10 UTC 2021

Hi all,

I wrote a new keyboard specification for my computer running debian 10 xfce. Though lhe layout is working as expected, I can't see the layout when I call sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration. So, I  manually modified the  /etc/default/keyboard configuration file to

XKBMODEL="pc105"
XKBLAYOUT="in"
XKBVARIANT="en-pnEqf"
XKBOPTIONS="terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
BACKSPACE="guess"

Now, the layout is loading at login and working properly, though it doesn't show up in keyboard-configuration. Can someone help me find out what I have missed?

The details:

The symbol file to which I added my definition is the file named 'in'. My addition starts as below -

partial default alphanumeric_keys
 xkb_symbols "en-pnEqf" {
 include "pc(pc105)"
 name[Group1]="English (Puthunira QF)";
 key.type="THREE_LEVEL";
 key <AB05> { [ U0023, U005B, U005C] };
 key <AB06> { [ U0024, U005D, U007C] };

After defining all the keys, the code ends with

 key <LCTL> {[ ISO_Level3_Shift ]};
 key <RCTL> {[ ISO_Level3_Shift ]};
 replace key <CAPS> { [ Control_R ]};
 include "level3(modifier_mapping)"
 };

 I modified the evdev.xml file to include inside

<layout>
      <configItem>
        <name>in</name>

the following

         <variant>
          <configItem>
            <name>en-pnEqf</name>
            <shortDescription>en-pnEqf</shortDescription>
            <description>English (Puthunira QF)</description>
            <languageList>
              <iso639Id>eng</iso639Id>
            </languageList>
          </configItem>
        </variant>

The same was included in xorg.xml as well

To evdev.lst and base.lst, I added

en-pnEqf        in: English (Puthunira QF)

What should I do for the layout to appear in the list that is shown when I call sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration?

NB: I am unable to attach the relevant files because of the size limit imposed by the forum

Thanks,
ajith