Find a good config guide

Dave Howorth xorg at howorth.org.uk
Tue Mar 22 12:21:12 UTC 2022

On Mon, 21 Mar 2022 14:09:44 -0500
Michael Needham <jmikeneedham at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings:
>
> I have been using Linux for over 25 years and have used FreeBSD off
> and on in that time.  As we speak I am running an Arch based distro
> and thinking of switching my daily driver to FBSD.
>
> My experience with X despite the years using UNIX or UNIX-like
> operating systems, configuring X has always failed for me which is a
> lack of my understanding I believe.  If it is already configured by
> my distro (in this case, EndeavourOS) then it works the way it
> should.  I have been trying to install vanilla Arch Linux and the DE
> part never seems to work unless you use KDE or Gnome and those DEs
> seem to use another method for configuring the X11 server (may be
> ignorant here).
>
> Anyhow, I would like to learn how to configure X in a step by step
> granular level tutorial.  I learn best visually, but can follow a
> well written guide that would do a lot of hand holding.  I think that
> this hole in my knowledge being filled is paramount to my ability to
> realize my own use cases for Linux or BSD.  Mainly, my focus in my
> years was on the server environment and recently (last year) it
> shifted to a desktop environment focus.
>
> If someone can help here or point out a good such tutorial, that
> would appreciated!  I especially want to experience setting X up with
> nothing configured.  Example, how to what info needs to be gathered
> on my system and WHERE that information is put (config files) both on
> Arch and BSD.

Arch is acknowledged to be pretty good on documentation and a google
search for 'arch linux X11 configuration' led me to
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/xorg which seems fairly good.

A similar search for 'freebsd x11 configuration' led me to
https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/x11/ which seems similarly
good. I'd suggest starting with those.

Cheers, Dave

PS I prefer to read rather than watch, so sorry, I didn't look for
videos. But you could try restricting the search to video results.