TWM & Odd Menu Issue

Graham Bentley admin at cpcnw.co.uk
Fri Sep 1 18:01:32 UTC 2023

Hi,

How to go about diagnosing this?

---

Lifelong fan of TWM; still using today and came across your pages/site.

The main reason for this enquiry, is to ask if you suffering recently
the problem of TWM not working well with latest Firefox and Chromium
browsers using mouse interaction particularly?

I use TWM 'raw' (no compositor and so on) and both browsers have worked
without issue until the latest esr release for Firefox and a few
releases ago for Chromium (not entirely sure when for Chromium). Other
programs do not have any similar issues that I have noticed.

The problem is that some popup/transient windows that appear when mouse
clicking on menu options in those browsers (and even some 'select'
inputs on webpages) are now closing instantly preventing interaction -
flash on and off so to speak.  I'm not technically advanced enough to
sort out why, but I am curious about whether other folk might be able to
have a stab.

The problem is more captured here:
https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/latest-chromium-and-firefox-popup-transient-windows-show-and-close-immediately-using-twm-and-when-using-mouse-4175728539/

Thanks