Debugging multiple X11 servers spawning

Vladimir Dergachev volodya at mindspring.com
Mon Sep 18 12:38:08 UTC 2023

On Mon, 18 Sep 2023, Dave Howorth wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Sep 2023 15:02:08 -0700, Michael Sheely wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm trying to debug an issue with a notification daemon
>>
>> On the debug thread
>> https://github.com/dunst-project/dunst/issues/1186#issuecomment-1677737252,
>> a maintainer suggests that my logs indicate multiple X11 severs are
>> being spawned.
>>
>> As far as I know I'm not purposefully starting multiple X11 servers.
>> I frequently use the machine locally and also ssh in, but I don't
>> enable x forwarding during ssh.
>>
>> I'm trying to understand if there is any particular system logs I
>> should look at in order to get a sense of when an X11 server was
>> started in order to better understand whether or not multiple X11
>> servers are being spawned (and if so, I'll aim to understand what is
>> causing it).
>>
>> Would anyone happen to have pointers that might be helpful here?

I am not sure which desktop environment you are using, but on some (like
KDE) you have an option to login as another user at the screen locker and
this creates extra X servers.

I have also seen situations where the same user logged in twice, and this
creates problems with configuration.

ssh cannot create X servers, so it has to be local - maybe you are
mistaking screen unlock for logging in with a new session.

best

Vladimir Dergachev