Xpresent transparent window title bar

Guy Rouillier guy.rouillier at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 05:44:22 UTC 2024

I originally sent this message, and subscribed to receive replies.
Carsten Haitzler appears to have replied to this message in a mirror,
with a cc to xorg at lists.x.org. I did not receive that reply.  I'm
guessing that subscribers only get messages sent "to" the list, and not
"cc" the list?  Carsten's full reply is here:

https://lists.x.org/archives/xorg/2024-February/061540.html

I don't now the proper protocol for copying text from other messages,
but I wanted to respond to the opening comment:
 > Your question really should be directed at the mate picom etc. developers, not
 > here unless you want to discuss the general x11 compositing and rendering
 > pipeline etc. .. so I'll answer from that point of view.
I believe that the Xpresent extension is not part of picom.  Instead, it
is part of xorg itself:

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/lib/libxpresent

I was informed of this when I initially asked on the Ubuntu MATE forum:

https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/marco-xpresent-compositor-transparent-title-bars/26968

Since Xpresent is not a compositor, I'm going to spend a little time
seeing if I can figure out how to modify the theme I'm using (YaruOK) to
have transparent title bars.  If I can't get that to work, I'll switch
to Xrender (which definitely is part of picom, and is a proper
compositor.)

--
Guy Rouillier