Update from XQuartz 2.8.1 -> 2.8.5 => pb. with utf-8 ressources

daniel Azuelos daniel+xorg at azuelos.org
Sun Feb 25 17:13:16 UTC 2024

Hello,

I just upgraded from XQuartz version 2.8.1 to version 2.8.5
( = xorg-server 21.1.6 ).
The server and applications are running fine, except I
have a problem with xterm resources names.

I am using resources having utf-8 names ( i.e. utf-8 outside of iso8859-1 ).
Here is an example from my ~/.Xresources:

|	pétrole*Background:     #377
|	pétrole*Foreground:     #ff7

All these resources names were working with version 2.8.1.
They aren't with 2.8.5, the class ressources are used instead:

|	XTerm*background:       #654
|	XTerm*foreground:       yellow

If I enter the command line:

	xterm -name pétrole

then Background and Foreground colors are correctly set.
If I fire the same command from the XQuartz menu entry which
should fork the exact same command, then the specific colors
are not used.

My OS is macOS 11.7.8.

How may I further investigate this trouble?
--
    « The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil
    is for good men to do nothing. »