[Clipart] Questions about licenses and formats of artwork needed

Sigmascape1 at cs.com Sigmascape1 at cs.com
Thu Apr 1 06:54:14 PST 2004

>Message: 3
>Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 22:46:23 -0800 (PST)
>From: Bryce Harrington <bryce at bryceharrington.com>
>Subject: Re: Encouraging Coporate contributors? [was Re: [Clipart]
>    Contributors    and moderation]
>To: Jonathan Phillips <jon at protofunk.org>
>Cc: clipart-list <clipart at freedesktop.org>

>On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, Jonathan Phillips wrote:
>
>> I concur with your opinion Bryce on waiting until the repository is
>> mature. Yet again, this is another discussion that needs to be added to
>> our group memory, aka, the wiki.
>>
>> I think it would be a great idea however to compile a list of possible
>> companies to solicit for free images. I also think that this project is
>> going to need a significant image campaign to get people interested and
>> to help them see the benefits of this system.
>
>Maybe, but my own personal experience (via WorldForge), is that there
>are some _extremely_ talented and prolific artists out there who are
>desperate for outlets for their creativity, and crave opportunities to
>work in a community with other artists to learn from and show off to.
>
>Some may be looking for opportunities to build a portfolio and spread
>word of their skill, others simply want to exercise their skills and try
>out cool new tricks, and others will mainly be motivated by contributing
>to a cause they feel to be important.  I have a feeling that if we can
>just find the right way to tap the vein and communicate the vision, we
>should not have too much trouble.  Like you say, we may simply need a
>good campaign to get folks interested.
>
>Bryce

Hello!

I am a new subscriber to the mailing list. I am finding that the artwork needed is material dedicated to the public domain. Are you also looking for other content licensed in, say, the Creative Commons or other types of licensing? Also, in terms of formats, SVG is the primary format needed? What about bitmap content?

Thanks!

Mitch Featherston