raster clipart? (was Re: [Clipart] Website content)

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Thu Apr 1 09:20:35 PST 2004

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, Tobias Jakobs wrote:

> If you need raster images please look here:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Public_domain_image_resources

Thanks for the link. It looks like a useful reference.

But even though it says "Public_domain", it points to webpages that
clearly indicate commercial licensing is needed. (For example, photos from
the University of Washington collections are unclear.)

Two things that came to my mind:

There is too much artwork found at the link above to be recopied or
bundled up. What would be useful is to have a directory that categorized
all of it -- image by image. That would be a lot of work.

But I'd prefer to have a simple collection. This is why I have been
discussing having an open clipart collection on a couple mailing lists for
a few months. We should have pre-defined categories and then have a few
images for each category. This would be useful for the normal home or
small office user who just needs to quickly find some images.

I saw another email on this list mentioned some categories.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/