[Clipart] clipart.freedesktop.org and OpenOffice.org

Alan Horkan horkana at maths.tcd.ie
Sat Apr 10 11:23:51 PDT 2004

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004, Bryce Harrington wrote:

> Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 11:12:10 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Bryce Harrington <bryce at bryceharrington.com>
> To: Alan Horkan <horkana at maths.tcd.ie>
> Cc: Clipart at freedesktop.org
> Subject: Re: [Clipart] clipart.freedesktop.org and OpenOffice.org
>
> On Sat, 10 Apr 2004, Alan Horkan wrote:
> > Some random bits of knowledge I'm not sure where to put:
>
> Maybe start a page for ConversionSoftware?
>
> > libwmf has already been mentioned
> >
> > Dia has limited SVG import and the windows version of Dia use the Windows
> > GDI to export to WMF.
>
> How well does this svg->wmf conversion process work?  Is the resulting
> WMF well formatted, etc.?

Dia loses a lot of information on the SVG import anyway so it wont be
great.  More likely the code might be something that could be borrowed for
the windows version of Inkscape.

> > On Windows I have used cut and paste to convert WMF clipart from other
> > formats to OpenOffice.org and then export to SVG.  Messy but it works and
> > my point is to let you know that the functionality is there, not to
> > suggest it is a good idea.
>
> Does the SVG come through okay?  I.e., does a gradient come through as a
> gradient or get converted into polygons or something?

I was only using simple low colour clipart that didn't feature gradients.
It was quite a long time since i did this and I dont have the test cases
anymore, sorry.

- Alan