[Clipart] [OT] PD and Software

cws456456 at aol.com cws456456 at aol.com
Tue Apr 13 11:19:01 PDT 2004

Kinda off-topic, kinda not...

We're getting into a lot of dicussions about Public Domain and various liscences through which art could be released.  Well I have a question.  Can Software be released to the Public Domain?

If so, wouldn't that be the most "free" and "open" way to release it?

I think that woudl clear up a lot of the GPL, LGPL, BSD, QRS, TUV, WTH, CWS, BOB etc etc ad nuseum...  debates.

Just let evrybody have it.  Absolutely no strings attached.   No requirements to include the source code.  No "backwards-compatiblity" clauses.  No "right of honor" mess.

Just pure and simple. No one could say that it is "non-free".   No one could ever call it closed.

Wouldn't that be great?

-Chad Smith