[Clipart] Clipart Installer - GUI

Alan Horkan horkana at maths.tcd.ie
Tue Apr 13 12:57:13 PDT 2004

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004, Bryce Harrington wrote:

> Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 21:45:55 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Bryce Harrington <bryce at bryceharrington.com>
> To: Daniel Carrera <dcarrera at math.umd.edu>
> Cc: clipart at freedesktop.org
> Subject: Re: [Clipart] Clipart Installer - GUI
>
> On Tue, 13 Apr 2004, Daniel Carrera wrote:
> > It'd be good to figure those out before we have a large collection of
> > clipart.  What would "category" or "kewords" contain?  You mean like "fuits"
> > and the like?
>
> Right.  It will also need to be extensible, so we can add new categories
> as needed.

people will inevitably take advantage of the eXtensibility of XML and
there can and will be all kinds of custom name="" value="" pairs.

> > > Could someone investigate XMP, RDF, and Dublin Core and determine if
> > > there's a good scheme we could appropriate?
> >
> > I vote for RDF.
> >
> > RDF is certainly powerful enough for our puroses.  And since I am using the
> > Mozilla platform to make this installer, RDF makes sense. (Mozilla comes
> > with very good RDF support).
>
> Ah, these three are not mutually exclusive, but build on each other,
> iirc, so it's not really selecting between them so much as understanding
> how they work together.

XMP the Adobe eXtensible Metadata Platform incorporates standard XML
technogies from the W3C.
XMP uses RDF (Resource Description Framework).
XMP uses Dublin Core.

There doesn't seem to be any reason why we wouldn't use XMP.

Overview of Adobe XMP
http://www.adobe.com/products/xmp/overview.html
and more in depth
http://www.adobe.com/products/xmp/in-depth.html

HTML version of the PDF from the Google Cache (you can work out the others
from this link if you need it)
http://66.102.11.104/search?q=cache:www.adobe.com/products/xmp/pdfs/whitepaper.pdf

I'm no fan of reading through documentation and specifications but I have
read all four of the PDFs (and reread parts of it) and it is not all that
bad and in fact fairly readable.

I did a quick google search and found this write-up which I thought was
interesting too
http://xml.coverpages.org/xmp.html

- Alan