[Clipart] Clipart Installer - GUI

Daniel Carrera dcarrera at math.umd.edu
Tue Apr 13 13:25:29 PDT 2004

Tobias Jakobs wrote:

> I don't like the idea of an extra Search tab. I would suggest a small
> search field (like in iTunes) on every tab and a button for advanced
> search.

Hi Tobias,

I don't have iTunes.  I don't think that runs under Solaris.

> The search results can then be grouped in the treeview. Please look at
> my mokup.

Link?

>>   *  Image name.
>>   *  Author name.
>>   *  License (in case we decide to add more options later).
>>   *  Author contact (although the installer won't use this).
>>   *  Date (???)
>
> Perhaps something like:
>
> * Comment/long description
> * Part of/Group

I think I have a good idea on how to make this work well.

* To use the system the artist must register.  The registration requires:

    1) Name.
    2) User ID.
    3) Contact information.
    4) Agreement that all submissions are Public Domain.
    5) Optinally add a parent institution.

* After logging in, the user can upload images by filling out a web form
with this information:

    1) Image file name.
    2) Category.
    3) Short description (optional).

* After hitting "submit" the following happens:

   1)  A copy of the image is sent to the CC server, along with the date, and
       the image is officially registered as public domain.
   2)  The image is uploaded to the server.
   3)  The following meta-data is stored for that image:

       *  A new image ID, unique for each image in the repository.
       *  Author's user ID.
       *  Image category.
       *  Terms = Public Domain.
       *  The submission date is recorded.
       *  The long description is recorded.

We can make it so the user can uplod a whole batch of files in one go.

Notice, I am trying to design this to require the least possible effort from
the user.  If an artist wants to submit 200 images, he or she will not want
to do 200 registrations at CC and then 200 uploads here.  We can make it so
that this is done all in one go.  The user doesn't enter 200 image names, we
assign image IDs automatically.  We register the images at the CC for them,
and we keep track of all the information for them.

What do you guys think of this?

Cheers,
--
Daniel Carrera | No trees were harmed in the generation of this  e-mail.
PhD student.   | A significant number of electrons were, however, severely