[Clipart] Forum

Nicu Buculei nicu at apsro.com
Thu Apr 22 22:59:22 PDT 2004

Jonathan Phillips wrote:
> Fenix, besides the forums being installed, do you still need a fd.o
> account? Also, what are your thoughts on the current state of the
> website?

can i state my thoughts on the website?

i think for developers is OK, but for simple end users is completely
useless.
consider the case of the simplest end user: he want to compose a
birthday card. he search the web and come to our website. all he can see
is only tarballs, no pretty pictures, no search, no ratings, no way do
see and download one single image.

saying that, my next question is: what is the project goal?
- we want to just have a huge tarball available for download
- we want a database of images, browsable for various criteria, with
ratings and user comments (i understand that means a huge effort to code
the website)

somehow unrelated: i don't like very much the actual state of the upload
method - have you considered the case of a malicious user, who can
effectively delete all the submitted images just uploading some empty
file with the same name as the existing ones?
you should at least *do not permit* the upload if a file with the same
name already exist but in this case, the original author can't update a
file (may it be an image or tarball) with a new version

--
nicu