Fwd: [Clipart] Blogs and RSS feeds

Adon Metcalfe flonejek at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 17:36:55 PDT 2004

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Adon Metcalfe <flonejek at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2004 08:32:47 +0800
Subject: Re: [Clipart] Blogs and RSS feeds
To: Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org>

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 08:43:51 -0700, Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org> wrote:
> Ted had a great idea to create the equivalent site for graphics
> development in Open Source like Planet Gnome is for the Gnome community.
>
> Thus, I'm running with this idea to see whom would be interested in such
> a community. I have asked freedesktop.org if they would support this
> blog, and they said yes. Ted, Bryce and I discussed names for the
> project and subdomains and like lab.freedesktop.org (linux art blog).
>
> The site basically would be a basic RSS Aggregrator and thus, we need
> your RSS feeds for your blogs and project news.
>
> Before I set anything up, I wanted to see if the interest is out there
> and if people already have RSS feeds.
>
> The general idea of this site would be to start communication between
> graphics development communites. This would include basically Inkscape,
> GIMP, Scribus, Cairo, etc. project blogs, but most importantly the
> individual developers blogs. The first step to sharing standards and
> ideas is to start this informal overlap and see what happens. This will
> also serve as a nice introduction for new developers and some users
> about to jump into the role of developer.

I like the idea, it would be quite interesting, and developers blogs
are quite interesting for someone evaluating the capabilities and
future path of the project.

> Thoughts and suggestions would be wise. If anyone is interested, lets
> discuss this on the inkscape mailing list and once enough responses are
> collected, then I will setup necessary infrastructure (mailing list and
> site) to facilitate this news site.

This is kinda offtopic but any idea how I would go about starting a
native mac OSX port would be greatly appreciated (I'm still very new
too developing, and don't know much except for some basic C++ and
C...) I'm not sure how to sort of just replace all the gtk widgets
with cocoa ones. At the moment I use adobe illustrator for web
graphics, but I reckon inkscape is far more capable (and has a nicer
interface) and I guess im also a kinda mac zealot who adores liinux
and opensource.

> Thoughts?
>
> Thx
> Jon