[Clipart] Website content

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Tue Mar 16 07:54:20 PST 2004

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004, Ted Gould wrote:

> 1) File format.  At one point we had talked about doing both PNGs and
> SVGs - but Chris brought up the good point that SVGs can do everything
> PNGs can, plus they're vectored.  So what about having the entire
> repository be SVG?  I have no problem with that.

SVG is fine, because we can always provide a script or some tool or
instructions to convert to PNG.

We probably could generate all the PNGs too and make a separate tar ball
for download.

And generate all the PNGs (and using meta data) to create categorized
webpages.

Also, it may take a while to just build up a collection of SVG clipart, so
we should accept and organize any other formats donated to or found by us.

Also, it would be useful if we consider clipart that are "photos" too. So
we may need a TIFF or other lossless format. This doesn't have to be in
same tarball, but a separate download but maintained and organized by same
"clipart.freedesktop.org" project.

Having reusable photos would be very useful to me and others.

> 2) How are the categories generated?  I think that one way that we've
> then the smaller set is reevaluated at the next level.  Eventually a
> hierarchy will emerge based on the Wiki-like keywords.

Okay that sounds fine. We may need to tweak the keywords later so it will
be like we want.

We should start working on the metadata.

Name (maybe filename?)
Description
Keywords
Date of contribution
Original artist/contributor
Original artist/contributor email (or contact information)
Copyright/License information (if we don't require same for all)
Image format?? with version (like some SVG software supports different
 SVG features)

> 3) Name.  The project needs an official name, I'm happy with
> clipart.freedesktop.org, but I also like UnCAP (for Unified ClipArt
> Project).  I think that we need to select that relatively quickly -
> atleast before we start to market the repository.

clipart.freedesktop.org is fine for me.

I wanted to get openclipart.org but didn't do yet.

> 4) License.  I think everything should have to be public domain, is
> there any issue with that?

Public domain works for me. If it is public domain, it must be documented:
source and original date and original artist and agreement saying it is
public domain.

I'd also like to include old artwork that is obviously public domain, but
of course, it should be documented too.

So if we have new artwork documented, then it would be the same as having
some license.

I'd like a license that basically says you may use it in any way you want.
So can be modified, sold, distributed in other format, etc. (Like a BSD
license.)

I'd prefer to not have a license that takes more than a 1/2 page to read.

Thanks for helping organize this.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/