[Clipart] Contributors and moderation

Ted Gould ted at gould.cx
Wed Mar 24 00:46:18 PST 2004

Okay,

Nathan pointed me to this article:

http://shirky.com/writings/group_enemy.html

And, I think it directly applies to what we are trying to do here.  I'll
try to summarize a touch, but I'd recommend reading the whole article
(it is long though).

Basically, groups are always started with good intentions by a group of
people who really want it to be successful.  Then other people join with
different goals, and things go a little bit crazy.  A good example of
this is Slashdot, who ended up implementing a rather sophisticated
rating system to handle the 'junk' submissions.

I'm concerned that our clip-art repository may become victim to a
similar issue.  Some will do it on purpose, they'll try to submit junk
that is just entirely unacceptable (which is something we should define
clearly).  But, others will just make crummy clip-art.  If the
repository doesn't maintain some amount of quality it will be useless
for everyone.

So, I guess I'm asking two questions:

1) Do we need an 'acceptable use' policy that specifies what is
acceptable and what isn't?  What should it include?

My response:  Yes, we do.  I think it should include:
  -- Graphics are Public domain
  -- SVG
  -- Not intended to harm or offend as determined by?

2) How do we police works that are in the repository?  Do we need a
group that is in charge of this?  What mechanisms are required to be
built in for this to occur?  Is being able to roll back malicious
changes enough?  Do we have a different set of what appears on the
webpage that what we expect distributions to ship?  Do graphics need
ratings?

Okay, I think I've talked enough - I really don't want this to be a
monologue - what do people think?

		--Ted