[Clipart] Mirroring http://openclipart.org

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Sat Nov 6 15:02:24 PST 2004

Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org> writes:

> How could we deal with mirroring our entire site? Is there a good way
> to check server load and if over an limit, then shift to a mirror?

Yes, or we could redirect n out of every m visits (where n and m are
configurable) to a certain page (probably the main page), although I
don't know how to do that in PHP.

Or we could use DNS to split the load between mirrors.  Developers
could still shell into the main server by using another FQDN.  In many
ways this is the most user-transparent solution, but it requires the
mirror to be, as far as the end user is concerned, functionally
identical to the main server.