[Clipart] Progress and Roadmap

Stephen Silver ocalocal at btinternet.com
Thu Nov 11 08:06:09 PST 2004

Jon Phillips wrote:

> 1. SPAMMERS to be banned. Also, how does anyone of us go about banning
> people?
>
> 202.107.216.99 218.74.23.215 220.184.52.243 221.218.27.14
>
> We need to do some collective brainstorming on how to defeat or offset
> these spammers. I'm getting really sick of them, but am not willing to
> be defeated ourselves and implement username/password for our project.

A couple of ideas:

1) Block edits from all (mainland) Chinese IP addresses.  Most of the
   spam comes from such IP addresses (e.g., all the IP addresses you
   listed above are Chinese).  I'm not aware of any legitimate edits
   from such IP addresses, and it would always be possible to unblock
   specific ranges if someone needs to use them.

2) A faster process for blocking IP addresses and text strings would
   be useful.  Currently it often takes a week or so to get anything
   blocked, during which time the spammer abuses even more pages.

By the way, if someone with the power to do so could delete all the
pages created by 202.107.216.99 this would get rid of most of the
spam that's currently on the wiki.

--
Stephen Silver