[Clipart] Canceling Dec Clipart Release

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Mon Nov 29 17:55:58 PST 2004

Bryce Harrington <bryce at bryceharrington.com> writes:

> I think we may want to consider permanently moving it to a different
> location...  Thoughts?

I thought about this, but I don't have any specific ideas as to where
else we could get it hosted.  Doing a CVS update on clipart_web
involves a significant amount of bandwidth, to say nothing of what
happens if we get slashdotted by several relevant news sites at once.

OSDN has the bandwidth, but I don't know if they allow running
arbitrary software on the server.  (We'd be able to run CGI scripts,
but I don't know what modules would be installed or whether we'd be
able to install needed ones or, more importantly, whether we'd be able
to run something like the DMS in the background.)  Additionally, I
worry that too high a percentage already of open-source projects are
hosted there, so that if anything happened to that site it would be
rather a crisis; it would be nice to avoid worsening that situation,
even if only by one more project.

I know even less about Savannah, and I don't know what else is out there.