Aaagh! Re: [Clipart] new site design in progress

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Tue Sep 14 22:39:07 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 14:14, Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:
> Alan Horkan <horkana at maths.tcd.ie> writes:
>
> > I suppose for screenshots of compositions using openclipart we would
> > not necessarily want to insist on it being public domain but we
> > would have to be clear about what we want to be able to use the
> > image for.
>
> Besides displaying the screenshots on the OCAL website and
> distributing them with/in OCAL promotional materials, is there
> anything else that we need permission to do with them?

I can't think of any right now...mainly promotional
purposes...presentations, etc.

> > We need at least enough metadata for a description and an ALT tag.
>
> I would think the alt attribute could just be "[screenshot]".  Right
> now the script asks for Author and Description -- is that enough?

Yes, the AUTHOR and DESCRIPTION would be useful for the screenshots page
to auto-generate that page with the new screenshots and description as
is currently displayed. I think that is great.

> > All the screenshots so far have been created using Inkscape
>
> No, there are at least three using OpenOffice.
>
> > but the application used might be an interesting bit of metadata.
>
> I suspect that can go in the description, but usually it will be
> obvious.

Agree...don't want to spend too much on this script...save for the
library ;)

> > (I never got around to submitting my sample sheet of gradients, have
> > it around somewhere but no preview.)
>
> The screenshot submission script can make a preview automagically.

GREAT!

> >>  * Do we want to require the submitter to upload also a reduced
> >>    267x200 preview version at the same time, or should we generate
> >>    them automatically?  (I think there's a recipe in this Perl
> >>    Cookbook for that using Image::Magick...)
> >
> > The option might be useful for some images, where it would better to
> > crop them to produce a preview rather than just resize them.
>
> Right, that's what I did with the screenshot I made at work, the one
> showing using the Windows logo and stuff in a flier about upcoming
> computer classes.  The whole screenshot shows the whole desktop,
> including my Gnome panels and stuff, but the preview is cropped a
> little to just the most interesting part of the document, where the
> clipart is.

Yes, I think the most important is having the consistent size for
thumbnails so that they look consistent on the main page's random
rotation and on the screenshots page.

> > Automatically generating a preview where none is provided would be a
> > bonus.
>
> I currently have it set so that generating the preview automatically
> is the default, but the user doing the upload can select "use this
> preview" instead and upload a custom preview, if desired.  The text on
> the form says what dimensions the preview should be, but currently
> this is not enforced.  (If we wanted to enforce it, that would be one
> line of code.  I don't know how it would impact performance, though,
> and it seems unnecessary at least for now.  If it becomes a problem we
> can always add it.)

Awesome...the main thing is to enforce size of the thumbnail...the main
screenshots can be any size...gr8!

KOREA.PH.010.3140.7483
USA.PH.858.361.2811
jon at rejon.org