[Clipart] Nazi flag

Christopher Ellison chris_ellison at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 3 19:55:19 PDT 2005

This raise an interesting issue, and I am wondering what actions openclipart
would take.

The policy is here:
http://openclipart.org/guidelines.php?PHPSESSID=e61ac630cb2176df759972d1c2855c26

Suppose someone wanted to submit pornographic anime clipart.

Is it censored?

What about svg child pornography...perhaps drawings that were traced from a
real photograph using Inkscape's "Trace Bitmap" tool.  What about slanderous
material? Is there a limit to how violent the clipart can become?  I won't
even pretend to know the answers to these questions.  Defining a line is
near impossible....there are shades of gray....but certainly, one can
distinguish between opposite sides of the spectrum as well.

It seems like there are some issues here that should be adressed...has a
lawyer been consulted (or does anyone know a lawyer who could give advice
and consent).

"Open Clip Art Library accepts all submissions. We do not censor the content
of the submissions, but rather allow for keywords to be embedded inside the
images so that others might filter based on their situation. As a corollary,
the Library will not reject images that are legal in most countries just
because they are illegal in a minority of countries."

Is this statement consistent with how would openclipart would actually act?
I would hope that child pornography, for example, would NOT be an acceptable
submission.  As from moral issues, I think openclipart could be in some
steam with the law as well.