[Clipart] Translating image metadata

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Fri Aug 5 15:31:49 PDT 2005

aaron at ekips.org writes:

> I think keyword data is the most important and perhpas only
> necessary thing to translate. Currently keywords are more useful to
> librarians than users, but I hope this won't always be the case.
>
> Two bad ideas for how to do this:
>
> 1. seperate metadatum for each translation e.g. keywords-en_GB,
> etc. (probably difficult for translators to keep up with billions of
> images)
>
> 2. translate each keyword once and only in the database
> (sure to mess things up with reguard to semantic domain)

The idea we have is to use the keywords to inform localization.  That
way the keywords *themselves* do not need to be translated on each
image (that would be an impossibly overwhelming task), but instead a
localized hierarchy is created for each language/culture that says, in
effect, "If an item has this keyword, but it in this category".
(That's a gross oversimplification, of course.)

--
Open Clip Art Library:  Drawing Together
http://www.openclipart.org/