[Clipart] Re: Clip Art Browser

Ted Gould ted at gould.cx
Thu Aug 25 09:42:50 PDT 2005

Jon Phillips wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 23:51 -0700, Ted Gould wrote:
>>Well, this isn't really the way that effects are meant to be used.
>>You're asking for a pallet, which honestly isn't available.  In order to
>>do multithreaded, we can't assume that anyone has a golden version of
>>the document anymore.  Palettes are on the roadmap, but until the DOM is
>>available, I'm afraid that they are impractical.  We could make the GUI
>>refresh, but would have to force you to be unable to edit the document
>>(which makes the GUI refreshing not that useful).
>
> What is the best way to solve this then Ted? Wait? Or how can Greg push
> this through for his project?

Well, I would have to say that this isn't going to happen in the short
term.  Bob is working on getting the DOM implemented, but it is a huge
task.  If Greg would like to help with that he'd need to talk to Bob
about it.  It is a drastically different task than working on OCAL stuff
though.

I've mentioned it to Greg, and I still believe, that perhaps his
application would work better separately from Inkscape instead of being
an extension.  Such that you could run them side by side, and then drag
and drop files into Inkscape.  This would also allow it to be used with
other applications in a similar way.  I think that is probably a
stronger paradigm for using it.

I think also, from the marketing perspective, making it "OCAL Browser"
is better than "The Inkscape Extension for OCAL".  This way it can be
made to work with applications like Illustrator and promote OCAL.

		--Ted