[Clipart] Filenames

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Thu Dec 15 04:39:03 PST 2005

Dan Gerhards <dan at seansastronomyshop.com> writes:

> I am one of the artists, and I think this suggestion is a good
> one. I've always thought the artists' names made the file names
> cumbersome. Besides, most of the time, the artist's name is mangled
> by being cut off before the end. It wouldn't bother me to have my
> name left off. It would be nice to be recognized in a credits file
> though.

Before we added the artist's name, we had a lot of namespace
conflicts, i.e., two (or several) quite different images in the same
category submitted by different artists at different times would end
up having the same filename and over-writing eachother.  Having the
artist's name in the filename helps to prevent this.

There is another way to accomplish the same thing, but it means
keeping a running record of every filename that has been used;
currently the upload script only knows about the ones that are
currently in incoming, not all the filenames ever.

--
Open Clip Art Library:  Drawing Together
http://www.openclipart.org/