[Clipart] Advertising on your site

Nathan Eady eady at galion.lib.oh.us
Wed Dec 21 11:25:54 PST 2005

Nicu Buculei wrote:

>> I think the most important thing if we decide to do some
>>  advertising is to stay clean and do no evil.

I think it is important not to take unfair advantage of our hosting
provider.  Advertising content that we hosted on our site would be
using their bandwidth and resources, services that we receive from
fdo at no charge.  If we collected any moneys by so doing, we ought
to discuss with them how to handle that, whether a portion should
go toward defraying their costs, and so forth.  (Do they have a
policy already worked out, or would this be new territory?)

Remote advertising content that we only link to might have
different considerations.  Even then, we'd want to check fdo's
policy, if they have a policy on advertising.

And, I think it's important not to open the floodgates to
any random advertiser to buy ad space on our site, e.g. by
setting a fixed price for all potential advertisers.  If we
procede, it should be clear that each deal must be worked
out on a case-by-case basis.  I am sure there potentially
could be things that we would not want to have advertised
on the site, and we already know that there are some things
we are willing to advertise at a discounted rate or free
(e.g., Inkscape).