[Clipart] [Fwd: [Inkscape-devel] Fwd: [devel] New Gnome Project (Clipart Browser)]

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Mon Feb 7 16:45:02 PST 2005

FYI.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mike Powers <mjpowersjr at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 12:14:12 -0500
Subject: [devel] New Gnome Project (Clipart Browser)
To: paolo.bacchilega at libero.it, criawips-devel at nongnu.org,
miguel at ximian.com, support at grasshopperllc.com,
scribusdocs at atlantictechsolutions.com

Hello,

My name is Mike and I have been using Gnu/Linux teamed with Gnome for
my main desktop at home. During the past year as I have used linux for
Multimedia, Internet/Email and Office tasks, I have noticed a few
areas where I the Linux desktop seems to be lacking.Please correct me
if I am wrong, but their seems to be no easy way for the average user
to insert clipart into typed documents.Most all Gnome Office related
applications allow insertion of pictures via the File Open Browser
window, but it makes it hard for the average person, without
understanding of file systems, to insert clipart. I plan to (hopefully
with the help from others ;-) ) develop a standalone  program (or
library) that other applications can call upon, to aid in Inserting
clipart. I am planning on using the source code from the current
release of gthumb as a starting point for this project, and have some
ideas listed below. If this is something that you would be interested
in using as a part of your applications, or have ideas, suggestions,
ect. please let me know. Also, I have done some initial mockups,
without reading HIG yet. (sorry, but their bitmaps until i can leave
work and get a chance to convert them.)

http://www.sharelinux.org/clipbrowser/

Here is a semi-organized list of thoughts on the project:
Program Input Options:
-Filters on what categories to make visible
-Import Images to the clipart gallery via command line.

Program Output Options:
-Clipart Browser can return a list of selected files.

Design Problems needed to be solved (I need your input :) ):
-What would be the preferred way to call the browser.
-Where should the clipart be stored by default?
-What permissions should people have for the clipart?
-How to approach importing clipart.
-What external websites should be queried for the websearch feature. (google...)
-Is their even a need for image conversion in the browser utility?
-How would they be implemented into existing programs.

Maybe someone is already working on this and I'm just ignorant to the
fact, To give you a background on my coding experience, I have taken
classes in c++ about two years ago, and recently started reading up on
the language again. I have never started a major project before, only
pieced together small programs to "get the job done" so any help would
be appreciated. I have wanted to contribute to the Gnome desktop for
quite some time now, and thought a Project like this would be a good
place to start, as I would imagine much of gthumb's code could be used
in this project. -thank you.

-Mike Powers. (mjpowersjr at gmail dot com)