[Clipart] Bzip archives?

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Mon Feb 7 19:44:25 PST 2005

Nicu Buculei <nicu at apsro.com> writes:

> there is any reason to provide both tar.gz and tar.bz2?

If we only provide one of the two, it should be .tar.gz, because that
has overwhelmingly broader interoperability (although, this is
gradually changing; bzip2 is supported now by all major recent
Linux-based distros I think).  In particular, systems that can use
.tar.gz but not .zip are very unlikely to be able to use .tar.bz2,
because info-zip is *significantly* more widely deployed than bzip2.

However, I don't see any major reason we can't provide all three.

If we were concerned about storage space on the server, we could keep
previous releases in only one format or even move really old ones
offsite, but I suspect bandwidth is more the concern than disk space.