[Clipart] Re: svg shell extension

Ziga Mahkovec ziga.mahkovec at klika.si
Wed Feb 16 09:29:12 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 17:23 +0100, Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller
wrote:
> That said I think Cairo is probably a bit overhyped atm,. not convinced
> the rendering speed of librsvg will increase *that* much due to Cairo,
> but I would love to be proved wrong.

I can't say much about their performance, but it does seem that Cairo is
under very active development now that it has the backing of GTK+, Mono
and Mozilla.  In Mozilla's case, the choice over libart was clear --
Cairo is dual-licensed under LGPL/MPL, making it compatible with the
Mozilla tri-license.

I believe it is planned for Firefox 1.1 to include a native SVG
implementation, with Cairo as the Linux backend.  Now with that kind of
a test platform, it better render fast :)

--
Ziga