[Clipart] Re: [Inkscape-devel] Adobe Illustrator CS SVG files + incompatibility

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Mon Feb 28 00:18:28 PST 2005

Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Jon Phillips wrote:
>
>> My girlfriend just made all these images for the clipart library by
>> tracing them in Inkscape (rock!) and then editing and composing them
>> with Adobe Illustrator CS. However, they cannot be opened in Inkscape.
>

> yes, i observed the files and intended to send a bug report until i saw
> your message.
>
>> I'm writing this to let everyone know that there are about 10 images
>> available at this link, http://openclipart.org/submissions.php, done
>> by Linda Kim that would be good for testing interoperability of Adobe
>> SVG and Inkscape.
>

> i had a look at those images using eog (rendered by librsvg) and firefox
>  (built with native SVG support) so probably i don't see the entire
> image, but those files are *huge* (about 0.5 MB each) for such simple
> drawings (at least this is what i see)

Yeah, they are big. Most of it is bloat, and then Adobe embedding of
base64'd binary content as well. The main svg is not that big. For Open
Clip Art Library, maybe we need to come up with file size limits, or
rather, maybe a regimen of cleaning for SVG files that are submitted? These
Adobe SVGs can obviously be cleaned up majorly, but then again, my
girlfriend spent a lot of time on separating the parts into layers and
naming each part? In Inkscape maybe developing some compatibility between
Illustrator layers and Inkscape layers is in order for the future.

The good (and bad) thing about Illustrators SVG is that you can open it
back up in Illustrator and then edit it as if its a normal .AI file.
Soooo...anyhow, my pontification ends.
What do you think about the cleansing of files that are submitted to Open
Clip Art Library? Since the images are PD, then obviously we can do this,
but then how to best go about the compression tasks.

Jon

jon at rejon.org
http://www.rejon.org

Inkscape (http://inkscape.org)