[Clipart] Namespace conflicts on the filenames.

Nicu Buculei nicu at apsro.com
Sun Jan 2 05:36:22 PST 2005

Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:
> Compare:
> http://openclipart.org/clipart/education/books/open_book_01.svg
> http://openclipart.org/incoming/open_book_01.svg
>
> These are clearly NOT the same image.
>
> When I wrote the upload script, I attempted to forestall this by doing
> a filetest to see if the name has been used and, if so, incrementing
> the number on the end of the name.  However, this only works as long
> as the files are still in incoming -- with the previous files being
> moved out of incoming (or incoming being moved and a new one created)
> each release, this precaution is no longer effective.

another way to receive unwanted duplicates is inside tarballs - this
make harder to compare filenames

> How can we track what filenames have been used, across releases?
> A special directory of zero-size files perhaps?  Some other way?

how about generating *unique* file names? for example adding to the
initial file names some letters from author name and some random (or not
random, say incremental) string.
example: my snowman.svg become nb_snowman_1024579.svg. it may be enough
to title the file 1024579_snowman.svg