[Clipart] OpenClipart and Debian.

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.com
Fri Jan 14 12:42:27 PST 2005

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:
> > Nicu Buculei <nicu at apsro.com> writes:

> >>maybe organization, fictional, not-country, funny
> >

> > I don't understand.  Are these pirate flags fictional?  I had assumed
> > they were historic.
>
> this is an interesting history of the pirate flag:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jolly_roger
>
> how we define the historic status of a flag? that it was used by
> somebody in the past? that it was used as the official symbol for an
> organization (or state) at a moment in time?
>
> i can't give an authoritative answer if the pirate flag should be
> considered historic or not

Sounds like someone needs to start a wiki page to hold definitions of
keywords.  ;-)

Perhaps it could be defined as a flag that was in use by a group that is
no longer extant.  So pirate flags, official flags from countries that
no longer exist, and flags of political organizations that are no longer
officially active would qualify.  Flags of fictional countries and
organizations would not qualify though.

Could get tricky trying to figure out whether an organization is
"active" or not, though...